How to browse the course catalogue
Read about how to find courses in a subject, view course information, and start enrolling in a course.
- The catalogue gives you information about the courses offered by The University of Auckland.
- The courses are listed under their subject area.
- If a course is available in the terms (semesters) that are currently open for enrolment, you can also see details of classes that make up the course.
- If you have received and accepted an offer of place in a programme, and you have signed in, you can begin enrolling in courses from the catalogue.
- From the top alphabetical index, click the first letter of the subject’s abbreviation.
- Scroll to the subject.
- Click the green arrow or the subject name to see all the courses in that subject.
- To see the details for a course, click its number or course title.
The subjects are listed alphabetically by their subject abbreviation, not their subject name.
Click the course description link. (For General Education courses, first click the ‘View Course List’ link, and use the left and right arrows at the bottom of the table to scroll through the courses, then click the description link for the course you want.) The course details page will appear showing:
- how many points it could contribute to your programme
- the course components (such as lecture, tutorial, lab, or workshop)
- enrolment information (prerequisites, corequisites, or restrictions)
- a brief description of what the course includes.
If the classes from this course have been given times when they’ll be taught, the ‘view course schedule’ button will show to the right of the course information.
Click the view course schedule button (and if the class is offered in more than one semester, select a term, then click the ‘show course schedule’ button) to:
- find out when classes for this course will take place
- view details about classes from this course, such as which campus they’ll be taught at and how many places are available.
Enrolment information explained
A course which is restricted against another course because the learning objectives, content, and/or assessment are so similar to the other course that you cannot gain credit for both courses towards a certificate, diploma, or degree.
A course that you must pass before you can start to study in this course.
A course that should be taken in the same semester as another unless it has previously been satisfactorily completed.
Department consent required
Before you can enrol in this course you must obtain permission to do so from the department. Visit your faculty student centre if you need help or advice. See Faculty student centres.
If the course schedule is available it will appear below the course information when you click the ‘view course schedule’ button.
- Select the term (semester) that you want to enrol in.
- When available click View All at the bottom of the results table.
- Click the class number.
- The class details page will appear.
- Click Return to Browse Course Catalogue.
- Click the Select button beside one of the classes.
To find out how to continue enrolling, see How to enrol in a course.
When you’re signed in and using the course catalogue online, you’ll find most pages have a Help link at the top. Each link leads to quick tips specific to the page you’re using. In case you want to check one now, here’s what you’ll find.