How to apply to graduate
Find out how to complete the online graduation application form.
- If you are eligible to graduate, a graduation application form will be available in Student Services Online.
- If you apply to graduate in person, the form lets you request guest tickets.
- If you are unable to attend, and apply to graduate in absentia, the form lets you choose how your certificate should be delivered.
- You must complete the application form in order to graduate and receive your certificate.
- Sign into Student Services Online.
- Click on the drop-down menu in the Self-Service section and choose Application to Graduate.
Your legal name, pronunciation and email address for correspondence
- Your ‘official’ name on your University record is displayed on the form after the text, ‘The legal name under which you will graduate is:’.
- Any changes to your legal name must be submitted to the Graduation Office before the application closing date, which can be found at the top of the form.
- If your name could be incorrectly pronounced at your ceremony, select ‘Yes’ to the special pronunciation question.
- Confirm the pronunciation of how your name is said. For example, phonetically Cerys would be “Cer–riss.”
- Confirm your preferred email address for all graduation correspondence.
Attending the ceremony in person
- To graduate in person, select ‘In Person’.
- If graduating with conjoint degrees, you may only attend one ceremony and will automatically be confirmed as in absentia with the other degree in your conjoint.
- If graduating with multiple non-conjoint qualifications in the same faculty, you will graduate with those qualifications at the same time.
- When selecting ‘In Person,’ the venue for the ceremony is displayed along with the option to request 1-3 tickets for your guests.
- If you select 3 guest tickets, an additional question will be displayed asking if you would like to be added to a waiting list for more guest tickets, if available. Select ‘Yes’ or ‘No.’
Unable to attend the ceremony and certificate delivery options
- If you are unable to graduate in person, select ‘In Absentia’.
You will choose one of three options for the delivery of your graduation certificate.
- You can collect your certificate from three weeks after the ceremonies have finished.
- You can nominate someone else to collect your certificate after the ceremonies. You must add the name of the collector to the form. Your collector will need to bring identification. You must also provide an email address for correspondence as the Graduation Office will confirm when your certificate is ready to be collected.
- You can also have your certificate couriered for a charge.
Courier delivery of your graduation certificate
- You can have your certificate couriered by completing the Courier Payment Form.
- The form is available via a link on the graduation application form.
- Download and complete the form, and return it to the Graduation Office with the correct payment.
- The payment of the courier will depend on where the certificate will be delivered. All payments are made in New Zealand dollars and are inclusive of 15% GST. Courier charges are confirmed on the form.
- If you wish to change the delivery address before the graduation application closing date, please contact the Graduation Office.
- The terms and conditions can be viewed via a link on the online graduation form.
- Please read the terms and conditions before submitting the application form.
- To submit the form, you must agree to the terms and conditions by clicking on ‘I accept’.
- Click on the Submit Application button.
For more information about the graduation application process, see Applying to graduate.